Halloween is just days away. We understand that eating candy is part of this special day but all candy is not created equal. In fact, there are a handful of sugary treats we would really like you to keep to a minimum, SOUR CANDIES!
Why are sour candies so bad? The acid in sour candy weakens and wears away tooth enamel. Sour candy is extremely acidic, it can actually burn gums and cheeks! Eating too many sour candies can lead to tooth erosion.
Signs of Tooth Erosion
- Sensitivity to hot, cold and sweet food and drinks.
- Discoloration as a slight yellow appearance on tooth surface.
- Transparency of front teeth appears along the biting edges.
Protect Your Teeth
- If you consume sour candies, swish your mouth with water, drink milk, or eat cheese afterwards to neutralize acids.
- Chew sugar-free gum to produce saliva which protects enamel.
- After eating sour candy, wait an hour before brushing. Brushing immediately after eating sour candy increases the harmful effects of acid on teeth.
Have a safe and wonderful Halloween!